Online Registration is now closed. If you are still interested in participating in this course, please email Tim McDonnell ASAP.
The National Geographic Society along with seven Chesapeake Bay Watershed Alliances, including New York, is sponsoring an Online Course on watershed education. It is called "FLOW", or Facilitating Learning through Online Watershed Education. It consists of ten modules and will run from October 16, 2013 to April 1, 2014. Each module is two weeks and involves about 4-5 of contact time.
All teachers are eligible to register for this course, but we need your registration by October 7th. There will be ten modules, and two of them (#6 and #8) will be facilitated by New York instructors. Participants will receive a Certificate of Completion if they satisfy the requirements of four modules (#1, 2, 3, 10) and two others. In addition, New York participants need to attend a "face-to-face" workshop at Monroe BOCES 2 in Spencerport, NY. That will be held on November 14, 2013. See the article in this webpage.
Through our grant, the New York Geographic Alliance will pay a stipend of $400 to those teachers who complete the course. In addition, you will also be able to borrow our Water Testing Kits and receive funding for outdoor student activities. If participants do all ten modules, they might be eligible for college credit. Details will come later.
Here is a listing of the ten modules:
1. Bring Geo-Literacy to Your Classroom
2. Get Outside! Discover the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
3. Using FieldScope to Explore Your Watershed
4. Dive Deep Into Watershed Hydrology
5. The Diversity of Life in the Watershed
6. A Healthy Watershed: Water Quality and Health Indicators
7. People and Water in a Changing Watershed
8. Then and Now: The Chesapeake Bay Watershed
9. Going Further with Outdoor Learning Experiences
10. Get in the FLOW: Plan Experiences for Your Students
If you are interested and need more information, contact the NYGA Office at (585)-292-2398 or email Tim McDonnell, Coordinator. You can register NOW by clicking on the link on the right side of this page.