The New York Geographic Alliance is pleased to be bringing GeoFest back to our home base at Monroe Community College. This year will be celebrating the waterways in New York that make us the Empire State. The collage below is our official logo for GeoFest.
It will be held on Sat. October 18th. Park in Lot K, and proceed down the hill to Building 8, second floor.After a short introductory session, there will be workshops in the morning, and a visit to the Susan B. Anthony House in the afternoon (optional for an additional cost). We believe that we will have a good variety of workshops for most grade levels and subjects. Here are some of the offerings:
1. Remote Sensing with Pictrometry
2. ArcGIS Online - Story Mapping
3. Erie Canal Module - Geographic Lessons aligned to the Common Core
4. The New Atlas of New York: Legacies of the Erie Canal - Lessons for Geography
5. Literature with Geographic Themes
6. Water Quality Testing (with NYGA's Kid-Friendly Kits)
7. "Rockets to the Rescue!" - a 4-H Lesson Aligned to Geography and STEM.
8. Updates on the Framework for Social Studies from NYS Education Department.
9. Seeing the World from a Birdseye View - Remote Sensing Workshop presented by Pictometry
10. Geography Awareness Week 2014 - The Geography of Food
This is only a partial list! We will update this webpage, so revisit soon.
You can now register online from the link on the right side of the page. Online registration will close on October 17th. We will welcome registrations at the door. The cost of attending the morning workshops is $10 for teachers and $5 for pre-teachers and college students. To attend the workshops and the tour of the Susan B. Anthony House, the total fee is $25. These cover most of the costs of food and admission.
If you want to download a GeoFest flyer/registration, click here.